Car Review With Ashlynn: First Cars

March 30, 2018

As students begin to drive they either get the old family Volvo or Minivan that they don’t want to drive but would rather drive than ride the bus full of annoying kids, or their parents go buy them a cheap car thats in ok condition and has a couple issues here and there. Most kids though would rather have their choice of a new Mustang or Camaro or even a Corvette, which with common sense is not the best choice for a first car because they have yet to master all of the horsepower those kinds of cars are able to produce and those cars are also not good for winter driving meaning they would not be good for safety of students

FMHS student Sawyer Quint says, “ most important characteristics of a first vehicle is miles per gallon because thats gas money. And also how good it runs because you need it to be reliable” (Quint’s first vehicle is a Dodge truck).

Some cars that are reasonable would be either front or all wheel drive, with some horsepower that’s enough for kids to handle, and something that’s not too expensive because if a student were to get in an accident it wouldn’t hurt their parent’s wallet.

A car that is cheap yet reliable for young drivers that would put their parent’s minds at ease each time they leave the house. The 2002-2007 Subaru Impreza would be perfect for young drivers because even though its a four door, it still has the style and the capabilities of performing like a race car with some modifications which is what many students want. The Subaru  is also all wheel drive which means that it likes snow and is able to handle it well, with its 2.5 liter flat four cylinder engine this car is sure to last a long time and many, many miles driven to parties and around town.

Though cars are common as first vehicles, there are also trucks which are also reliable because they are big and heavy and are able to take blows if ever in an accident better than cars. Trucks are usually usually both 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. Though trucks can be hard to maneuver through tight parking lots and roads, it may not fit the driver well in which the driver should start driving something they are comfortable with. Trucks also tend to be more expensive.  

A truck that is perfect for beginning drivers would be the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 because it’s not too expensive like the newer trucks, but its still not a cheap one especially if you take the Cummins instead of the Hemi, either way this truck still has capabilities of good performance but can still do any hauling if your parents ask you too. This truck is also heavy enough that if its involved in an accident it will be able to protect the people inside and it will be a safe driving truck on snow packed roads.

There are much more safe vehicles out there- these are just some that set good examples of what first vehicles should be and what we should realistically start out driving. Even though students would rather have Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and maybe even a Porsche (which  are exceptional cars), students need to realize those are dream cars and something they should work for to have in the future. Another good thing for a first car to have says Makayla Burke sophomore , “Is having good brakes and handling and a sturdy frame that will make the car have a smoother ride and safer for beginning drivers” (Burkes first car is a 2000 Nissan Maxima).  Drivings fun, but safety and reliability is key to the fun of it.