The Importance of Saving Money

Caitlin Lawson, Editor

While some people don’t agree with everything Dave Ramsey has to say, in the times of financial hardship he has some baby steps that would benefit the majority of people. In times like COVID-19 where many people are out of work and on the brink of bankruptcy, it is beneficial to remind everyone what could have been done to prepare for this hardship to better prepare themselves for the future. It’s recommended to do your own research and cross reference to find what works best for you. Also, these steps may not directly relate to high school students at this moment in time but it can be helpful to learn about it for the future. Here are Dave Ramsey’s 7 baby steps: 

1. Save $1,000 and leave it alone except for emergencies. Everyone can save this amount. Some faster than others but it is important to have this amount, in cash (on hand or in a bank), in order to avoid credit card charges. 
  2. Pay off debts except the house. Start with the little ones first. By paying off the smaller debts first you will build confidence in your abilities and end up being able to pay off the larger ones with less struggle and worry.
  3. Save 3-6 months of your expenses (house, bills for electricity and phone, etc) to ensure that if you lose your job or are unable to go into work that these living expenses are paid for. 
  4. Save 15% of your household income for retirement. As soon as you get a job you should start thinking about retirement. It may feel far away, but it is closer than you think it is!

These next steps are further down the road but are still important to think about and prepare for. 

1. Prepare and fund your child’s college fund. At this point your debts should be paid and your other steps all paid for. Education (of any sort, not just college) furthers your child’s success so it would be beneficial to give your kids a leg up.
  2. Pay off your home early. Like any kind of debt, it is best when it no longer exists. So get that home paid for.
  3. Build your wealth and then give to others. When you don’t have financial instability hanging over you, you are able to live a happy life and help others. 

If everyone had some of the first steps done, they would not be struggling so much during this pandemic.