Girl Killed by School Bus in Parachute

Mattie Baker, Reporter

Without a doubt one of the most terrible things in life is death. Even though it is part of the circle of life, it still scares people. Yet, the one thing worse than dying itself is dying before one has had the chance to live.

Last Thursday, March 3, Annalise Backner, an 11-year old girl who attended Grand Valley Middle School in Parachute, was tragically killed by a school bus. Supposedly the girl was running to catch her bus when she tripped and fell under the moving wheels. According to the Grand Valley Fire personnel and Garfield County deputies, the incident happened around 7:30 am and the girl was pronounced dead at the scene. An investigation with the Colorado State Patrol Vehicular Crimes Unit was then immediately opened up.

Brad Ray, the superintendent of Garfield County School District, has since then sent out an email to district families to inform them of the tragedy that had taken place. “The Garfield 16 family suffered a substantial loss and significant tragedy when a sixth-grade student died due to injuries suffered in an accident. Our hearts are breaking for all involved, and our priority moving forward is to offer the needed support for those grieving,” wrote Ray.

This incident was most tragic and as of now no information about the investigation is to be released. Until then, the condolences of the community go out to the family and friends of Annalise Backner.