2022 FMHS Baseball Season

Brock Jarvis, Reporter

The boys baseball team has jumped out to a fast start this season. Before the season started, almost the whole coaching staff was replaced besides coach Casey Sullivan who became the head coach, replacing Ray Mclennan. Sullivan was an assistant coach for the junior varsity teams the past few years along with helping coach the freshman/ C team. 

The season got off to an amazing start with the team beating Palmer high school 26-0 and the next day winning against Rampart 19-9. 

Their season has had ups and downs where they lose a game then winning the next and sometimes winning 2 in a row. With a loss to Horizon high school April 2nd, the team sits 6-4 and second place in the 5A/4A Southwestern Division. Montrose leads the division sitting 7-3. Fruita sits 6-3 when it comes to home games and 0-1 on away games. 

The season has been going well for Fruita’s offense with the team scoring the most runs in the state by almost 30 over the next closest team. They have scored 130 runs so far while the national average is 49 runs per team. They have almost every other offensive statistics either doubled or triple the national average besides grand slams. 

. “Scoring the most runs in the state definitely says something about our offense, we definitely have some of the hottest bats not only in the valley but the whole state and it’s definitely being shown this season, I think it’s definitely a very sweet label to have knowing you’ve scored the most runs in Colorado,”  Sophomore Keenan Oxford said. 

The players are having a lot of fun with the offensive output and even when the pitching or defense may be struggling, scoring runs helps win baseball games and Fruita has done that effectively this season so far. The new coaching staff is a new change for sure, especially for the upperclassmen, Junior Logan Cardoza, a outfielder and pitcher said this about the new coaching staff. “ I like the new coaching staff and how they are coaching us this year.” 

The new coaching staff is having a good overall impact on the players and is having a positive outcome on the field. With the new coaching the team has been able to score the most ryan in the state and have a positive win-loss ratio. The FMHS baseball season has been going exceptionally well considering the new coaches and how tough the competition has been getting the last few years. Hopefully the season gets better for them and can compete for a state championship.