District 51 First United Winter Dance

March 11, 2020

For the first time in District 51 history, this year’s winter dance is combined with all four other high schools in the district. The dance will be on February 15th at 8:30-11:30 pm. It will take place in the ballroom at CMU. It’s a semi-formal dance. Tickets cost $15 before the dance or $25 at the door. There is no SBA prices, so prices can be the same in all schools. 

I got to speak with Chloe Thompson one of the sophomore representatives on the Student Council and KIC committee. I asked her a few questions about why they decided to combine the dance with the other schools and how it’s been cooperating with three other schools.“Well, the theme of KIC week this year is unity and the dance is being put on by 20 sophomores StuCo students from all four schools. And each school has had great attributes that have made the planning process go really smooth.” 

The Student Council has been planning this since September 19th, although the idea has been floating around for a few years. Thompson recalls that Palisade was the one to reach out and spark the conversation of an all-school dance. “I’m really excited about the dance!” exclaims sophomore Brooke Burkey. “I think it will be a lot more fun than homecoming.” However some people have concerns. “Although having a dance between dances could be uniting it could be bad,” an anonymous student voices their concerns. “Fruita and Junction have a huge rivalry and there’s always people who care too much about that rivalry. There could be just simple pranks but it could end up turning into something bigger.”  

Thompson warns that there are only a limited number of tickets so when they go on sale around February 3rd be sure to get one!