New Women’s History Class

March 30, 2018

History is defined as,“the study of past events, particularly in human affairs”(Oxforddictionary). It is a universal theme across the country that high schools offer the typical classes of U.S History, World History, and European History, along with others, to fulfill the social studies credits needed in order to graduate. It is safe to say that men’s struggles and triumphs over time, have, and will forever be the main focus of what students are being taught. It is accurate to say that some of the more famous women have their contributions weaved in and out of the history books but, are never the priority of the conversation. Why then has it taken so long to for us to realize their is a need for this kind of class in not only our high school but also those around the country?

Perhaps the feminist movements of this century are what have sparked more high schools to adopt these types of Women’s’ History classes. The strong women of hollywood who have been a part of the “#metoo” movement and those who have participated in the women’s marches across the world, are just some that understand the importance of educating our younger generation on just how impactful females are in a male dominated society. People will soon forget about the way they fearlessly reformed the world as we know it today if schools no longer deem female driven classes a significant a part of the necessary knowledge for students. Senior Kenzie Mercer gives her opinion on how she would have benefited from taking this class, “It would have been interesting to learn about all of the women in history as I don’t know a lot about them.” Many women themselves including those who are aware of the demand, still do not have the access to this type of education as it has still not become a norm. It is encouraging to see that our administration and teachers feel as though our student body would benefit from a Women’s History class and that they believe in creating equality even in the curriculum.

The problems that might arise with offering this class is whether or not the male population at Fruita Monument would want to take a class all about Women. Ian Barnes a sophomore at the school comments, “ I would take the class because I think it is a necessity to learn about other contributing members of society that are often times overlooked.” If others share this positive outlook on the class, it will begin to fill up quickly, so make sure to request it when doing registration for the next year.