“Twilight”, but backwards

Grace King-Wagner, Editor

You know “Twilight” by Stephenie Meyer, but get ready for “Midnight Sun”. Meyer says, “I don’t know how everyone else is coping, but right now books are my main solace and happiest escape. Personally, I would be nothing but delighted if one of my favorite authors announced something new for me to read. (No pressure, Laini Taylor.) So, I hope this announcement gave you some pleasure and something fun to look forward to.” Released August 4th, 2020, Meyer’s new book gives us something to look forward to during this time of craziness. Meyer has spent thirteen years writing this book, and is so excited to share it with her former Twilight fans, and anyone else who wants a good read to escape from reality.

Meyer’s “Midnight Sun,” is almost “Twilight”, but backwards. The book focuses on a vampire-human love affair, the complexities of which are more apparent to the vampiric party, as made evident in the book’s narration. The plot won’t be new to Twihards familiar with author Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight,” which she expanded into three subsequent novels, “New Moon,” “Eclipse” and “Breaking Dawn.” This time around, it’s told from vampire Edward Cullen’s perspective instead of Bella Swan’s and offers a more complex view of a high school romance. Cullen, as the narrator, is a bit more experienced at 104 years old though he perpetually appears to be 17 thanks to his vampire immortality. The conversations that mirror big moments between Bella and Edward, are now simply told from a different perspective.

So for you Twihards, get out there and make sure to read “Midnight Sun.” Get away from reality, and go run with some Vampires.