Marijuana in Grand Junction

Jackson Pierce, Reporter

Members of the city council here in Grand Junction have begun discussing the regulation of marijuana within city limits. A city council meeting on Monday resulted in discussions about putting it to the ballot, but as of now a decision has not yet been reached.

There have been many people throughout Grand Junction voicing their support and concerns, one local parent said this about how his son was affected by his use of marijuana, “He got into marijuana, he dropped out of high school in the tenth grade.” The citizens opposing the idea of marijuana in Grand Junction say that it will only negatively impact the children in the Grand Valley, while on the supporting side people feel that the boost in our local economy as well as the medical benefits that it can bring is enough for them. The mayor of Grand Junction (Duke Wortmann) also commented on the topic saying, “It creates a good line of transparency that we’re not trying to pre-judge anything. We’re going to hopefully put it to the ballot or not put it to the ballot, we think that’s the only way we can do things effectively and we think that this is a big enough ask from the community to do it the right way.”

The city council of Grand Junction have put this on the ballot before and every time it has gone to the public’s vote it has failed. That doesn’t mean that this time will be the same, information can change as well as people’s opinions, but until the city council votes to put this idea out to the voters of Grand Junction, all we can do is wait for their decision.