Icy Roads in the Grand Valley

Alayna Jones, Reporter

The New Years Weekend brought many surprises. Especially for the Grand Valley. The eight inches of snow received was a record-breaking experience for Grand Junction. Unfortunately, while the snow was fun, the road conditions were pretty icy. This can be scary for the underage drivers attending FMHS because of the difficulties driving on the ice. 

Car tires can’t find any friction against the slick ice, so the tires spin and cause disorientation for the driver, especially for less experienced drivers. “I don’t like driving on the ice because I don’t have control over my vehicle,” a sophomore student pointed out. Another less experienced driver said, “I loathe the ice because it is very nerve-wracking for me. It’s hard to know what your car will do next. I hate not being in control of my car.” As you can see, this issue has caused much stress and anxiety for younger drivers. Especially with less experienced drivers, this can cause concern because they have less practice with driving. 

Even for experienced drivers, the ice can be hard to navigate. One driver said, “The ice is only scary if you aren’t confident that you are in complete control of your vehicle. Respect it, and don’t do anything stupid. That’s how you slip and slide off of the road.” He continues, “Going at slower speeds and overestimating your stops are extremely important when it comes to navigating your vehicle on the ice.” 

The ice only is a cause for concern if a driver isn’t experienced or cautious when driving. Slower speeds, careful steering, and basic observation skills are the best ways to avoid slipping and causing an accident.