Healthy School Meals for All on the Ballot

Marissa Glass, Editor

In 2020, the Covid-19 pandemic hit, sending cities into complete lockdown. While many were sad to lose the little luxuries in their life, many experienced the far-harder challenge of going without food. To address this in our community, District 51 nutrition services started handing out food for those who needed it. It then transformed into a full year of free school food for everyone. Now, free school food is on the ballot for the citizens of Colorado this fall. 

The Healthy school meals for all public school students was placed on the ballot by the Colorado Legislature. This started before the pandemic to make a temporary Federal program permanent. The program was set to expire this summer but President Joe Biden signed the Keep Kids Fed act to extend the program through this school year. 

Director of food and nutrition services Dan Sharp states that “ Prior to Covid, many students that were eligible for the free meals did not use this service and went hungry, causing them to be recognized by classmates as the ‘poor kid.’” 

With healthy school meals for all being on the ballot it gives parents and citizens to vote for kids in the valley who may need it. This bill could potentially benefit hundreds of kids in the valley of all grade levels.