Pre super bowl thoughts

Matt Corsi, Reporter

Sunday January 21st, 2018 presented us with the last games before the Super Bowl (excluding pro bowl). Playing at 1:05 MT, the New England Patriots hosted the Jacksonville Jaguars. Following their big win over the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Jaguars headed into the AFC championship with confidence. However, the reigning Super Bowl 51 champions and #1 seed in the AFC, the Patriots headed in after a win over the Tennessee Titans in the divisional round of the playoffs. Jacksonville’s strong, and one best defense faced easily one of the most productive offenses in the league. Tom Brady and Co. averaged 28.6 points a game, 2nd to the now eliminated Rams, who averaged 29.9 points a game. However, their staggering 394.2 yards per game was the most in the league, while the Rams sat in 8th with 361.5.

The Patriots started out pretty rough, dwn 14-10 at half. However, Tom Brady led his team down 17-7 in the last half, and won 24-20. This was Tom Brady’s 8th playoff 4th comeback in the playoffs, and also is headed to his 8th super bowl. While the Patriots are looking to win back to back super bowls, the NFC championship is being held in Philadelphia, where the Eagle host the Minnesota Vikings at 4:40 MT. The Minnesota Vikings also proved to to have one of the league’s strongest defenses. This Vikings defense ranked 1st in yards per game allowed (275.9), points per game allowed (15.8) and 3rd down defense (25% converted), while finishing seconds in rushing yards per game (83.6). However, the Eagles offense as well as defense both proved to be strong contenders. The Eagles were tied for 2nd with the patriots in points per game (28.6).  Their defense however only allowed 79.2 rushing yards a game, which was 1st in the league.

Both teams headed into the game off of miraculous last plays. The Vikings with a 61 yard touchdown, and the Eagles with a last play stop. From the beginning however, the Eagles dominated, and headed into the second half up 24-7. The Eagles showed no signs of slowing down coming into the second half. They increased their score to 34 and held the vikings scoreless. The Eagles flew by the Vikings, 34-7 and advanced to Super Bowl 52.

Super Bowl 52 will be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota on February 4th, at 4:40 MT.  The Philadelphia Eagles will play the New England Patriots. Tom Brady suffered a hand injury in practice before the divisional round, but played through it. Receiving multiple stitches, the injury didn’t show to be much of a problem. However, All-Star Tight End, Rob Gronkowski, was diagnosed with a minor concussion in the previous game. He has been cleared to play in the Super Bowl, however not being 100% could play a big factor in the Patriots offensive success.

Sophomore Jonny Kleppinger states that, “I want anyone to win besides the Patriots, so if its gotta be the Eagles then I guess go Eagles.” Mixed feelings about this years game are certainly prevalent, however it’ll definitely be one to watch.