Why holidays are important

Lila Kinnick, Reporter

The thought of holidays can bring a smile to most people’s faces, and  even the Grinchiestt of people can find joy. And if any year needs to end on a festive note, it’s 2020. 

Everyday life is stressful and full of uncertainty. Having a special time of year when we know exactly what to do and what to expect, especially if you’re expecting presents or yummy treats, provides a sense of structure and stability. no matter how tough your year is you at least have your favorite time of year to look forward to and cherish. Sophomore Lexis Lindholmd says that “Christmas time helps keep me going, especially during finals having the thought of break and presents makes it feel way less stressful”. 

Holidays are also an amazing way to reconnect with loved ones, from getting much needed family time that is strpped away from you during the more busy months, to rekindling old friendships or even making new ones. The thought of Christmas time means family has been drilled in your head from the first time you could comprehend a movie plot. Even though it sounds cheesy, it’s important that we have at least a few times of the year that evoke a sense of family.

Daniel Kahneman, a psychologist and Noble Laureate researcher shows that when we evaluate past experiences, we tend to remember the best moments and during the holidays those best moments are spent with families rebuilding relationships that may be disrupted during these rest of the year. 

Grand Junction resident Penny Spike says that “I get to meet up with all my extended family members that I don’t see too often.¨

Christmas is known as the season of giving and for a good reason. According to Causes, donations amount on the side increased by 42% during November and December compared to the normal. Charities make it much more accessible during these months to donate as well as having an increase in ads and getting bins to put money around popular areas. Companies like Toys for tots and Salvations Army are always hard at work during the holidays. Something about the season gets everyone in the giving mood which all can help make the world a better place.

All together Christmas and other Holidays give people some time to look forward and brighten up even the toughest of years. Even if the songs can seem annoying, and gift giving adds stress, anyone can admit Holidays are necessary to not only improve mental well-being, but help relationships and spark a sense of kindness in people that help make the world a more loving place.