Review: Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts

Brooke Burkey, Editor

As far as book series go, nothing has ever gotten me as excited as J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter. Since elementary school I’ve loved the books, and maybe unlike most Harry Potter fans, I love the movies even more. I’m not a huge reader anymore, but I still love the world that Rowling was able to create. And since the movies are so great, I can watch them year after year and still be excited for the next time to come.

So naturally, ever since I heard that a 20th anniversary reunion special was coming at the beginning of 2022, I’ve been dying to watch it. All of my favorite actors back together, talking about my favorite thing. Amazing. And “Return to Hogwarts” did not disappoint, at least for the most part.

Of course having to start on one of the three big stars, the special opens on Emma Watson, aka Hermione, whimsically making her journey back to Hogwarts. Occasional cuts to Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom), Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), and others fill in the introduction as they all receive their own Hogwarts letters inviting them back. As the actors make their way through old sets, eventually all converging on the Great Hall, it seems that the filmmakers were trying to recreate the wonder of the movies, though they inevitably fall short in invoking the same feelings. This intro is an indicator of what’s to come: a lot of sometimes unwanted or over-the-top whimsy and flair. Yet, paired with people you love and are excited to see, so there’s not much to complain about overall.

The reunion moves on to show the cast and crew reminiscing about the eight films chronologically, with the special organized into four parts. The structure works well; it allows there to be some sense of a storyline. The production cuts back and forth between different cast and crew members fairly often to show their accounts of the different movies, as opposed to staying on any one of them for too long.

For me the highlights of “Return to Hogwarts” were often from unexpected people. Times that Helena Bonham Carter, who played Bellatrix Lestrange, was on screen happened to be some of the brightest, from teasing Daniel Radcliffe to reminiscing with her on-screen nephew, Tom Felton. Getting to see her real personality’s complete contrast from her character in the movies was very entertaining. Paired with the rest of the cast’s lighthearted anecdotes of childhood crushes and what it was like to be an unfocused, immature, 11-year-old on a huge movie set, the special continually kept me entertained and smiling.

But my enjoyment of the sparkling sets and delightful exchanges was often interrupted by pretty noticeable absences of frankly some of the best cast members, such as Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore), Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall), and David Thewlis (Remus Lupin). It’s understandable that some actors couldn’t make it–the ones who were there were hardly ever shown in rooms together, presumably due to schedule conflicts–but to not even mention someone like Michael Gambon, who I believe elevated the series from good to great, is very odd and disappointing to me.

Though “Return to Hogwarts” was also full of touching moments. Rupert Grint (Ron) and Emma Watson’s fire-side conversation was a moment that unexpectedly got me, and the ‘in memoriam’ section was very genuine and heartbreaking. From seeing personal displays of grief like Tom Felton tearing up about the loss of his on-screen mother, Helen McCroy, to watching the best moments of some of the most important actors to the series, such as Alan Rickman, at this point the special finally made me cry.

“Return to Hogwarts” did border on being superficial at times, with its occasionally cheesy whimsy and reminiscing, but the special was made for an audience who would probably like it no matter what. Harry Potter means so much to the fans and it’s obvious that it means just as much and more to the cast and crew. Despite “Return to Hogwarts”’ shortcomings, it was an overall fun and nostalgic experience for someone who loves Harry Potter as much as me.