FMHS Thrift Shop Dance

Marissa Glass, Reporter

Among the many options for dance themes, Fruita Monument High School decided on the theme of Thrift Shop. It may seem strange because it is not a typical theme, but the style of thrift is definitely in the season. The dance took place on Friday March 4th in the commons of the school.
“We chose a Thrift Shop theme this year; we got to reinvent our FMHS winter dance. Student council didn’t want to have to cancel a fancy dance and leave people hanging or have wasted money on attire,” Student council member Piper Haley stated.

The upperclassmen have prom coming up in the spring. Lowerclassmen get a non-formal dance for them to hangout and have fun. This dance gives a break for all students, allowing them to avoid  worrying about buying expensive clothing for dances.They instead have to go to thrift shops and buy second hand clothes and be creative.  Not only was the funky theme bringing joy, but it was a Sadie Hawkins dance where girls ask guys.

The first thing students saw as they arrived at the dance was a big tent blown up with the Wildcat symbol on it. Then, they turned their tickets in and headed off to an extraordinary night. Students then got their pictures taken of their outfits, and it was displayed for everyone to see. 

“The slideshow of all the pictures that were taken was definitely really cool. And the fake drinks were awesome,” stated sophomore student Natalie Haight.

Beside the dance floor and the fun music, there was food and even refreshing  mocktails being served. There was also free face painting done by the art students. Last but not least the gym had cornhole games and Nintendo games to play. 

The winter dance at FMHS may turn out to be causal because it will provide FMHS with two formal dances and two causal dances, but it is still being decided by the student council. 

There are many theme choices out there, but the thrift shop appears to have been a good choice for Fruita. With many fun ideas in store for the dance, it created a magical night for FMHS students.

“ This dance is also an optimal choice because it provides many choices and brings all kinds of people togethers.” Stated Haley. 

The thrift shop theme may continue as a tradition at FMHS, but regardless,it created many memories that will stay in students’ hearts forever.