Highlights of FMHS graduation 2022

Lennea Gregg, Reporter

Last week, Tuesday May, 10, Fruita Monument High School celebrated its graduating class of 2022 and watched them toss their caps in relief. Relief of finishing high school. It was an emotional, exciting and long-awaited ceremony, each and every student wore a smile and cried tears of joy and goodbyes. 

There were many highlights to the ceremony; a live music performance, an exceptional speech from the class president, Tessa Reimer and many special moments with several students while accepting their diplomas on stage. The FMHS administration made it an extremely memorable ceremony with kind words to say about the class of 2022 and all their remarkable accomplishments throughout the years. They acknowledged their competitive nature and determination to be successful during and after high school. Mr. Mclaskey said many words about the rigorous motivations of the seniors and how far it would take them in their future aspirations. All felt how appreciative the staff and audience were of these hard working students.

Tessa Reimer, class president and active student council member, gave a strongly worded speech about the importance of little things and kind actions towards your peers. She made mental health and its prevalence in high school, and life, a focal point in her speech and commended her class, and generation, on being so proactive in treating themselves and others. She mentioned her gratitude for her friends, teachers and classmates for their kindness and perseverance throughout these often tough years, especially during the global pandemic that we have experienced while getting an education. Reimer’s words were heard with thought and appreciation from all who were there. 

Overall, FMHS made the traditional celebration special for their most recent graduating class. Each student had something special set atop their cap and many showed it off as walking onto the field. Students flashed their graduation outfits, showcasing fancy shoes, dresses and hairstyles for the occasion. The school spirit was seriously felt throughout the stadium and fruita’s pride was, as always, strong and prominent, even in departure.