Going to School and Never Coming Home

Adilana Anderson, Reporter

We are three months into 2023 which is around 90 days. In these 90 days we have had almost 100 mass shootings. It was only four days ago that the most recent one happened and took the lives of innocent students and teachers.

In the morning of March 27th at Covenant School, a Christian elementary school in Nashville Tennessee, gunshots rang throughout the school. The school was put into lockdown but that wasn’t enough to save everyone. Six people were killed including three nine year olds.

The police responded to this emergency as quickly as they could. They were able to get into the school and in six minutes they were able to find the shooter and kill her, putting an end to the terror. The whole ordeal lasted a total of 14 minutes, from when she entered the school to when the police and ultimately killed the shooter. Because of the fearless acts of the police to get in the school and get the shooting there were not more casualties. They worked their hardest to get into the building and stop the attack. Sadly there were lives lost but they saved countless more.

The two officers Rex Engelbert and Michael Collazo were the ones who ran into the school knowing the dangers and ended up killing the shooter. But they weren’t the only ones that were recognized as heroes at the school. 9 year old Evelyn Dieckhaus, who lost her life trying to pull the fire alarm to save her friends, will be remembered as a hero.

This day has only shown to be more of a push for people who are fed up. Many protests and more people have started to speak out about the shooting. They are starting to share their belief that this country needs change. People are asking for change and they seem like they aren’t going to stop till they get some. Every year 4,000 children and teens are killed due to gun violence in schools along with another 15,000 who are shot and injured. 3 million students are exposed to gun violence every year and these numbers are only increasing.